Sewing, Homeschooling and Craziness

Posts tagged ‘paint’

Make a Medieval Tapestry


Make a Medieval Tapestry

 

 

 

So, I’ve been racking my brain to think of ideas for our Middle Ages unit that are NOT run of the mill and I think I may have hit on one!

Yesterday we made our own tapestries!! Well,  sort of…. We did break out a loom or anything like that. We did it OUR way. 😉

I dug out a couple of scraps of fabric that were sitting on top of one of my fabric boxes and decided they would work just fine.

Then I hunted down the dowel rods that I knew were here SOMEWHERE!

After that I hunted high and low for yarn or twine… ANYTHING to hang them with!! I got lucky and found some string.

When we got to our Middle Ages study I showed Cailey and Colin different pictures of medieval tapestries and explained how they were used.

Then I sat them in front of the fabric scraps with their paints and brushes and let them go.

 

This is what they came up with.

 

Medieval Tapestry 014

 

 

Colin went with a shield and knights.

The lighting for this pic was terrible and using the flash only made it worse! LOL

 

Medieval Tapestry 005

 

Cailey went with a unicorn and rose vines.

 

After the paint dried, I put a ton of glue at the tops and wrapped them around the dowels. Then I added the strings to end.

Viola! Medieval tapestries!!!

You could always have your child try their hand at a bit of embroidery.

 

HAVE FUN LEARNING!!!!!

 

StacydotsgreendistressedBackgroundFairy2

DIY Door to Headboard Upcycle


Door Upcycle 1

 

We recently gave the girls our old bed set and changed out our bed clothes. Now we needed something to match!

I have been seeing a lot of DIY headboards on Pinterest and knew that I wanted to give it a try.

The simplest way seemed to be the door to headboard upcycle. I knew we had an old door in the garage so that was PERFECT! All I needed was the paint! 😉

 

Door Upcycle 002

We had some plain white paint sitting around in the cupboard under the stairs, so I grabbed that! Then I got some Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch in Colonial Red. It has Primer built in! Then I grabbed a sample of Glidden Rich Navy for the stencils.

The stencil I picked up at Home Depot. It had 3 different designs but I was partial to the fleur de lis.

 

Door Upcycle 014

 

First I sprayed 2 coats of the Colonial Red. No sanding, no priming. Just painting! 😉

 

 

Door Upcycle 023

 

After the red was good and dry,  I taped around the middle sections and added 2 coats of the white.

I had a bit of an issue with the tape. I used Scotch brand and expected good results. Instead, the white bled through the edges and the tape left a sticky residue on the red paint. GRRR!!!!!!!

 

Door Upcycle 033

 

I did a little bit of touch ups.

 

 

Door Upcycle 039

 

Next I added the stencil.

That was a bit harder than I imagined it would be. SIGH… I still have some touching up to do but I am pleased with the way it turned out over all.

Advice – Tape the stencil very securely and start with just a small amount of paint. 😉

 

I wish I could show you how the headboard looks actually on the bed, but we can’t  seem to find our screws!! ARGH!!! I will be getting it up in a day or two and will be sure to take some pictures then! 🙂

 

I hope this all made sense! I am up at 2 am writing it all out! LOL

 

StacydotsgreendistressedBackgroundFairy2

 

Tag Cloud

%d bloggers like this: