We recently gave the girls our old bed set and changed out our bed clothes. Now we needed something to match!
I have been seeing a lot of DIY headboards on Pinterest and knew that I wanted to give it a try.
The simplest way seemed to be the door to headboard upcycle. I knew we had an old door in the garage so that was PERFECT! All I needed was the paint! 😉
We had some plain white paint sitting around in the cupboard under the stairs, so I grabbed that! Then I got some Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch in Colonial Red. It has Primer built in! Then I grabbed a sample of Glidden Rich Navy for the stencils.
The stencil I picked up at Home Depot. It had 3 different designs but I was partial to the fleur de lis.
First I sprayed 2 coats of the Colonial Red. No sanding, no priming. Just painting! 😉
After the red was good and dry, I taped around the middle sections and added 2 coats of the white.
I had a bit of an issue with the tape. I used Scotch brand and expected good results. Instead, the white bled through the edges and the tape left a sticky residue on the red paint. GRRR!!!!!!!
I did a little bit of touch ups.
Next I added the stencil.
That was a bit harder than I imagined it would be. SIGH… I still have some touching up to do but I am pleased with the way it turned out over all.
Advice – Tape the stencil very securely and start with just a small amount of paint. 😉
I wish I could show you how the headboard looks actually on the bed, but we can’t seem to find our screws!! ARGH!!! I will be getting it up in a day or two and will be sure to take some pictures then! 🙂
I hope this all made sense! I am up at 2 am writing it all out! LOL